web analytics

7 responses

1. Cheryl “Mash”
    April 12, 2013

I can not stop laughing. This is hysterical!! Have you thought about comedy? Am sending this post to my sons as I’m sure they will enjoy it as much as I did. Especially since one of them has a, what some would call a dog, I call him a demon, who has to be on special dog food not to upset his GI system but eating socks, plastic, napkins, rocks, etc. he has no problem with digesting.
    Cheryl “Mash” recently posted..Friday MemesMy Profile

2. Giacomo
    April 12, 2013

Glad you enjoyed it, Cheryl. I think anyone who has lived with one of these ‘special’ dogs will appreciate it.
    Giacomo recently posted..Have You Kissed a Pig Today?My Profile

3. Anthony Colline
    April 12, 2013

Giacomo,

I liked that one, I remember that phrase as a kid, I can’t remember who said it. Who ever it was, told me there only three in life you have to do and that is eat, shit, and die and they go in that order.

I have had more than few of those special dogs, they are just like people each special in their own way.

My female Rottie named Roddie loved to eat Jrs. army men and other plastic toys. So it was easy to spot a pile with bright colored plastic pieces sticking out. Best dog I have ever had.

4. Giacomo
    April 12, 2013

Thanks for stopping by, Tony. Yeah, dogs give us crazy stories, along with all the love.
    Giacomo recently posted..Why I Quit Drinking CoffeeMy Profile

5. margieinitaly
    April 29, 2013

I love this post. Great to know how these phrases originated. Thank You!

• Giacomo
      April 29, 2013

I always find it interesting to learn of the origins of phrases.

6. Steve Jolly
    May 16, 2015

Two elements to this quick reply:

Some years ago, growing tired of hearing people say “Eat shit, and die,” I did a bit of research to determine that Rit, as in the common dye for clothes, is in fact an irritant of the digestive system, as in, eating it will cause you to feel very very bad and poop copiously. That allowed me to say, with validity, “Eat dye, and shit!” back at those people. I am a simple man; I have simple pleasures.

I suspected that the precursor to all of this, as you surmised, was the de-punctuation of the ancient dictum that the depressing outlook for an ordinary footsoldier caught up in war is to “Eat, shit, and die.” That, in turn, had roots in the sad fact that, in wars of long-ago and notably in the American Civil War, more soldiers died from dysentery than perished because of wounds from fighting. So, there was an even more bitter and sardonic edge to that phrase about a future of eating, shitting and dying than seems evident to our modern ears, living in “first-world” countries with modern healthcare, listening from the happily warped perspective of today.

Thanks for taking my mind on a short, sweet voyage to the Napoli of long ago.

It’s a nice gift, since you’ve guiding me toward what will no doubt be some interesting reading, over the next few days, about the Golden Age of Naples. Ciao!

(And,, since I live in Houston and I do a lot of volunteer animal rescue work, I’ll be looking through your blog to learn more about your shelter. Good work!!!)