web analytics

12 responses

1. Maria Zannini
    January 31, 2013

I’m the kind of editor who can spot typos in fast moving movie credits. But I would NEVER do a final edit without a professional editor. (I love mine too.)

It’s the one expense where I won’t skimp.

• Jim
      January 31, 2013

Agreed, Maria. A good copy editor is an absolute necessity.

2. Suzanne Jenkins
    January 31, 2013

I paid a lot for editing when I published through createspace and my books are full of mistakes. It’s the authors responsibility to get it right, and when you’re just starting out, you don’t realize all the stuff that can creep right by you. So little by little, I’m spending more money to have books re-edited, which is not a cheap task. It seems like instead of bashing each other about getting it perfect, we should support each other. It grates on my nerves to read a poorly proofread manuscript, but when I review a book, it’s for the story line, not to try to make the writer feel like crap. So sorry, my vent about this issue. You may tell I have been on the receiving end of a lot of criticism.

Suzanne

• Jim
      January 31, 2013

Suzanne: Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate it. I know it’s tough to catch all the mistakes, and this post certainly isn’t about bashing authors or making them feel bad; it’s about what a good copy editor can do for you. As to the mistakes that might find their way into a book, that is the beauty of digital publishing. If someone points it out to you, you can fix it, although I recommend doing everything humanly possible to make sure there are no mistakes.

3. Gianfranco
    February 5, 2013

Great job! keep it going!
    …e grazie…

• Jim
      February 5, 2013

Prego, Gianfranco. Thanks for stopping by.

4. Lady Quixote
    February 6, 2013

The first Indie ebook I ever read was published by a retired psychologist, with a mega-genius level iq. Of course he didn’t need no stinking copy editor.

The most glaring flaw in his novel, whose protagonist was (what else?) a psychologist, is how many seemingly dozens of times the main character uttered some variation of: “As a psychologist, I think…” “Speaking as a psychologist…” “Because I am a psychologist…” “In my career as a psychologist…”

Oh boy. I (gently?!?) pointed this redundancy out to the author, and…. let’s just say that this particular psychologist does a much better job of dishing out advice, than he does with taking it. 😉

Lady Q

• Jim
      February 6, 2013

Thanks for stopping by, Lady Q. You had me laughing at this because it sounds so familiar. Far too many people don’t like hearing that there is anything wrong with their own work.

5. Lady Quixote
    February 7, 2013

I’ve certainly been guilty of that. However, I have found that an honest critique is the best gift a person can give me. When it comes to my writing, that is, I don’t necessarily want to be critiqued about my lifestyle or my beliefs.

6. Jim
    February 8, 2013

I’m with you on that, Lady Q.

7. Linda Howell Betz
    August 8, 2013

I agree, a good copy editor is a must!