web analytics

15 responses

1. Fran Scott
    June 21, 2012

Well, I started this once and the electric went out, so I think it was Jim Scott letting me know he remembers this also, but when you were living in your first apartment Jim was your mailman and he would always go up to see Mikki when he delivered your mail. One day the Jimmy and Julie were outside of the apartment playing with other children and they said “hi” to Uncle Jim as he was going up to the apartment. The neighbor asked them how they knew him and young Jimmy said “Oh, that’s Uncle Mailman” and the neighbor said “Uncle Mailman huh?”. Now that’s a rose of a memory if there ever was one.

2. Jim
    June 21, 2012

I remember. Hilarious!

3. Maria Zannini
    June 21, 2012

Your Aunt Rose is a wise woman and you’re a lucky man. I hope you have many more years with her.

4. Jim
    June 21, 2012

Thanks, Maria. Me too.

5. Paul Julian
    June 21, 2012

When I was in jr high, we lived on Clayton St.. Your Aunts Margaret and Rose also lived on Clayton across the street from our house. Rose was Secretary to the principal at Bayard Jr. High and at least 2 – 3 times a week reporting to Mom regarding my behavior. Needless to say, I soon learned that being a model student wa my only salvation, because, altthough Pop was a soft touch, Mom was not.

• Jim
      June 21, 2012

You had me laughing with that one, Paul. I remember Rose in those days, and she walked to work all the time. I think all that walking kept her young.

6. Aliza Giammatteo
    June 21, 2012

Beautifully written, Pops! And nice tribute to Aunt Diddie.

Roses for me? Every time I get to help tell someone’s family story so they have it to pass on to the next generation.

And of course having a dad like you.

• Jim
      June 21, 2012

Grazie, ti voglio bene

7. Barbara H Riley
    June 21, 2012

So beautifully said. Really had me thinking of all the roses in my life instead of all the thorns. It is the thorns that make us strong.

• Jim
      June 21, 2012

True, Barb. But I could do with a few less thorns.

8. Cheryl Masciarelli
    November 1, 2012

Pass the kleenex!! Aunt Rose sounds like a very wise woman. What a moving tribute. Beautiful post. Children can have many thorns, but once they blossom, they are beautiful and become the rose bushes in our hearts. Thank you for sharing.

9. Jim
    November 1, 2012

Thanks, Cheryl. Aunt Rose is very special. She turned 96 last week.

10. Michelle Weidenbenner
    January 24, 2015

Jim –

I needed to read this today! I shared it at FB and with my 19 yo daughter who was dumped by a boy today who said he needed to find time for God. (That’s a new one.)

This is so true! I’d love your Aunt Rose. I’m going to look for the roses today, but know that I can’t avoid the thorns. Hopefully I’ll have the strength and wisdom to step with caution in that bed of roses.

Thanks for all you do!

11. Giacomo Giammatteo
    January 24, 2015

Glad you found it useful, Michelle. Have a wonderful day.

12. Mike Ferrier, Jr.
    June 23, 2017

Jimmy, another good one from a Cleland Heights kid.